BARGAINING UNIT QUALIFICATION STANDARD
(4801-04XX) VENDING MACHINES MECHANIC
September 8, 2009
Travels to post offices in a prescribed area. Installs and maintains
stamp vending machines. Informs designated personnel in post offices on
preventive maintenance, adjustment, minor repairs, and parts replacement
practices. Maintains stock of repair parts.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
See the Standard Position Description for the Occupation Code given
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
This section is composed of
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) which are required to
satisfactorily perform the tasks of the position. Applicants must
demonstrate that they possess a sufficient level of each KSA, to include
at least minimum competency for senior-qualified positions to enable
them to perform these tasks satisfactorily. Applicants demonstrate
these levels by describing examples of experience, education, or
training, any of which may be non-postal. Ratings are based on the
demonstration of the level of possession of each of the KSAs. Failure
to demonstrate any KSA is disqualifying.
1. Knowledge of acceptable practices and techniques in the repair
and maintenance of the machines and equipment associated with the
position, and the ability to perform required duties without special
advice or assistance.
2. Safety in performance of duties common to the position.
3. Ability to use common hand and power tools efficiently.
4. Ability to undertake and complete the disassembly and reassembly
of machine parts and components.
5. Ability to work without immediate supervision.
6. Ability to use manuals and other reference material to obtain
needed technical information without assistance.
7. Ability to analyze and interpret specifications and drawings of
mechanical objects sufficiently well to understand dimensions, shapes,
materials, finish, etc., and how various parts fit together.
8. Ability to use measuring instruments appropriate to work
involved, e.g., scales, gauges, micrometers, rules, voltmeters,
9. Ability to diagnose mechanical, electrical, or electronic trouble
in the operation of machines, locate causes of failure or malfunction,
and determine the proper remedy or method of repair.
Applicants for Vending Machines Mechanic
positions must have successfully completed Postal Service Test 950.
Applicants must be physically able to perform
efficiently the duties of the position. Vision of 20/40 (Snellen) in
one eye and ability to read without strain printed material the size of
typewritten characters are required. Corrective lenses are permitted.
Ability to distinguish basic colors and shades is desirable. Ability to
hear the conversational voice is required; hearing aids are permitted.