BARGAINING UNIT QUALIFICATION STANDARD
(4749-0002) FACILITY MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
DOCUMENT DATE: July 14, 2013
Performs involved troubleshooting and complex maintenance work
throughout the systems of the building and building equipment. Performs
preventive maintenance and preventive maintenance inspections of
buildings, building equipment, and building systems. Maintains and
operates a large automated air conditioning system and large heating
system, and/or other complex building systems. This position provides
service for the US Postal Service Headquarters facility.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
See the Standard Position Description for the Occupation Code given
This section is composed of Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
which are required to satisfactorily perform the tasks of the position.
Applicants must demonstrate that they possess a sufficient level of each
KSA, to include at least minimum competency for senior-qualified
positions to enable them to perform these tasks satisfactorily.
Applicants demonstrate these levels by describing examples of
experience, education, or training, any of which may be non-postal.
Ratings are based on the demonstration of the level of possession of
each of the KSAs. Failure to demonstrate any KSA is disqualifying.
1. Knowledge of advanced HVAC equipment operation.
2. Knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC).
3. Knowledge of electronic direct digital controls and Energy
4. Ability to troubleshoot advanced building systems and correct
5. Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
6. Ability to direct lower level employees in maintenance and repair
procedures on building systems.
7. Ability to work under pressure.
8. Ability to work with others.
9. Ability to work without immediate supervision.
10. Ability to work from heights.
Applicants must successfully complete Postal Service Test 955, for the
Building/All Other job group, which measures maintenance knowledge,
skills and abilities.
In addition, applicants must successfully complete an interview.
Applicants must be able to perform the physical requirements of the
position with or without reasonable accommodation which may require
arduous exertion involving the following: standing, walking, climbing,
bending, reaching, and stooping for prolonged periods of time; and
intermittent lifting and carrying of heavy objects.