BARGAINING UNIT QUALIFICATION STANDARD
(4155-01XX) AUTOMOTIVE PAINTER
December 21, 2011
Refinishes completely the interior and exterior painted surfaces of
motor vehicles, including trailer vans, or refinishes damaged areas of
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
See the Standard Position Description for the Occupation Code given
This section is composed of Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
which are required to satisfactorily perform the tasks of the position.
Applicants must demonstrate that they possess a sufficient level of each
KSA, to include at least minimum competency for senior-qualified
positions to enable them to perform these tasks satisfactorily.
Applicants demonstrate these levels by describing examples of
experience, education, or training, any of which may be non-postal.
Ratings are based on the demonstration of the level of possession of
each of the KSAs. Failure to demonstrate any KSA is disqualifying.
1. Ability to operate power driven and hand tools such as power driven
disc sanders and air-operated spray guns.
2. Ability to disassemble and reassemble common components incident to
preparation and finishing of painted surfaces.
3. Ability to work without immediate supervision.
4. Ability to use manuals and other technical references needed for
common day-today operations.
5. Ability to operate with dexterity and safety both in operation and
6. Knowledge of acceptable automotive painting practices with enough
experience to refinish completely the interior and exterior painted
surfaces of motor vehicles, including trailer and van bodies, including
knowledge of adjusting nozzles of spray guns to insure that all surfaces
are evenly coated with no streaks or wrinkles.
7. Ability to perform acceptable stripping and pencil lining; to
select the proper fillers for filling scratches, scarifications, rust
spots, and pit holds; to sand, scrape or grind to the degree necessary
to obtain a smooth surface; to feather edge and match the existing
painted surfaces and mask necessary areas not to be painted.
8. Ability to determine the method and extent of conditioning and
preparation for repainting vehicle bodies having surfaces of steel,
aluminum or fiberglass.
9. Knowledge of enamels, lacquers, thinners, epoxies, fiberglass, and
other material used in automotive painting; and ability to choose, mix,
and blend painting materials to achieve proper consistency to use in
Applicants must successfully complete Exam 251 (scoring for Automotive
Painter) and pass an interview.
Applicants must be physically able to perform efficiently the duties of