BARGAINING UNIT QUALIFICATION STANDARD
(3809-02XX) BODY AND FENDER REPAIRMAN
Dec 21, 2011
Performs body and fender repair work on Government-owned motor vehicles,
involving sheet metal parts, nonmetallic components, body structures,
chassis frames, and related vehicle accessories and equipment.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
See the Standard Position Description for the Occupation Code given
This section is composed of Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
which are required to satisfactorily perform the tasks of the position.
Applicants must demonstrate that they possess a sufficient level of each
KSA, to include at least minimum competency for senior-qualified
positions to enable them to perform these tasks satisfactorily.
Applicants demonstrate these levels by describing examples of
experience, education, or training, any of which may be non-postal.
Ratings are based on the demonstration of the level of possession of
each of the KSAs. Failure to demonstrate any KSA is disqualifying.
1. Ability to use hand and power tools required for body and fender
repair work such as hammers, spoons, files, dolly blocks, grinders,
buffers, drills, frame aligners, air-driven reshapers, etc.
2. Ability to disassemble and reassemble body structure with proper
alignment and adjustment.
3. Ability to work without immediate supervision.
4. Ability to diagnose and locate defects in automotive body
structures and determine the remedy or method of repair.
5. Ability to analyze and interpret specifications and drawings of
mechanical objectives sufficiently well to understand dimensions, shape,
material, finish, etc., and how various parts fit together.
6. Ability to do gas or electric welding on various types and
thicknesses of metal.
7. Ability to use measuring instruments such as alignment,
indicators, micrometers, thickness gauges, scales, dividers, calipers,
8. Ability to perform brazing and soldering tasks involved in body
and fender repair, choosing correct materials for all kinds of work.
Applicants must successfully complete Exam 251 (scoring for Body and
Fender Repair) and pass an interview.
Applicants must be physically able to perform efficiently the duties of