BARGAINING UNIT QUALIFICATION STANDARD
(2150-03XX) VEHICLE OPERATIONS ASSISTANT, BULK MAILS
March 18, 2006
Performs control functions related to truck arrivals, registration, and
dispatches at a bulk mail center.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
See the Standard Position Description for the Occupation Code given
This section is composed of Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
which are required to satisfactorily perform the tasks of the position.
Applicants must demonstrate that they possess a sufficient level of each
KSA, to include at least minimum competency for senior-qualified
positions to enable them to perform these tasks satisfactorily.
Applicants demonstrate these levels by describing examples of
experience, education, or training, any of which may be non-postal.
Ratings are based on the demonstration of the level of possession of
each of the KSAs. Failure to demonstrate any KSA is disqualifying.
1. Ability to work without immediate supervision.
2. Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
3. Ability to perform effectively under the pressures of the
4. Ability to operate office machines such as calculator, adding
machine, duplicating machine, or any other office equipment as
appropriate to the position.
5. Ability to personally resolve problems of a routine nature.
6. Ability to understand and comply with written and verbal
instructions and give understandable information in verbal and written
7. Ability to analyze, explain, and apply laws, regulations, rulings,
and procedures pertinent to the work to be performed.
8. Ability to work with others.
9. Ability to schedule work, either materials or people.
1. Applicants must have two years of general office type experience.
2. Successful completion of a full 4-year high school course including
credits in commercial or business subjects such as general business
education, business arithmetic, and office practices OR successful
completion of a full academic year of 36 weeks of business school may be
substituted for two years of general experience.
3. In addition, applicants must have six months of specialized
experience performing computer input or familiarity with dispatching
Substitution of education for specialized experience is not
appropriate for this position. The required amount of experience will
not in itself be accepted as proof of qualification. The applicant's
record of experience and training must show the ability to perform the
duties of the position.
Applicants must be physically able to perform efficiently the duties of
the position. Applicants must have vision of 20/40 (Snellen) in one eye
and the ability to read without strain printed material the size of
typewritten characters is required. Corrective lenses are permitted.
Applicants will be required to hear the conversational voice; hearing
aids are permitted.
The Postal Service may require applicants who qualify under this
standard to satisfactorily complete a prescribed training course prior
to assignment, reassignment, or promotion to this position. This
information will be provided in the vacancy announcement posted at the