BARGAINING UNIT QUALIFICATION STANDARD
(0544-0007) ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST (P)
March 13, 2008
Process a variety of payroll transactions and/or adjustments to ensure
accurate employee payments. Process transactions in accordance with
control standards and reconcile assigned activities as requested by
management. Monitors outstanding issues to ensure resolution and
determine which problems are to be forwarded for higher level review and
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
See the Standard Position Descriptions for the Occupation Codes given
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
This section is composed
of Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) which are required to
satisfactorily perform the tasks of the position. Applicants must
demonstrate that they possess a sufficient level of each KSA to enable
them to perform these tasks satisfactorily. Applicants demonstrate these
levels by describing examples of experience, education, or training any
of which may be non-postal. Ratings are based on the demonstration of
the level of possession of each of the KSAs, taking into account
provision of Article 33 of the Information Technology/Accounting Service
Centers collective bargaining agreement. Failure to demonstrate any KSA
1. Knowledge of computer systems and accounting/payroll applications at
a level sufficient to process transactions, query data, obtain
information and create reports.
2. Ability to process accounting and/or payroll related transactions
and maintain records or sub-ledgers in accordance with Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to achieve timely and accurate
3. Ability to communicate orally and in writing to express ideas or
facts clearly and logically when answering questions, giving directions,
and providing information.
4. Ability to comprehend and execute oral instructions to complete work
tasks and job assignments.
5. Ability to work cooperatively with people and interact positively
with customers and co-workers, exercising courtesy, etiquette, and self-
6. Ability to work with limited supervision to independently plan and
execute work activities, check work for completeness and accuracy, and
meet established time commitments.
7. Ability to efficiently exchange information and coordinate the work
tasks of others to meet unit objectives.
8. Ability to resolve complex problems related to payroll processing,
payroll adjustments, and changes to employee master payroll records.
Applicants must successfully complete Postal Service Test 744.
Applicant must be physically able to perform efficiently the duties of