Independently performs semiskilled preventive, corrective and
predictive maintenance tasks associated with the upkeep and
operation of various types of mail processing, buildings and
building equipment, customer service and delivery equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Independently performs preventive maintenance and minor
repairs on plumbing, heating, refrigeration, air-conditioning
low-voltage electrical systems, and other building systems and
2. Performs preventive maintenance and routine repairs on simple
control circuitry, bearings, chains, sprockets, motors, belts
and belting, and other moving parts or wearing surfaces of
3. Assembles, installs, replaces, repairs, modifies and adjusts
all types of small operating equipment such as letter boxes
mechanical scales, stamp vending equipment, building service
equipment, mailhandling equipment and related equipment.
4. Under the direction of skilled maintenance employees, or
clearly written instructions from either hard copy or
electronic format, performs specific tasks related to
disassembling equipment, replacing parts, relocating and
reassembling equipment; assists higher level workers in
locating and repairing equipment malfunctions.
5. Maintains an awareness of equipment operation, especially
excessive heat, vibration, and noise, reporting malfunctions
hazards or wear to supervisor.
6. Uses a variety of hand and power tools, gauging devices and
test equipment required, or as directed, to perform the above
7. May drive a vehicle to transport tools, equipment, employees
materials or in the normal performance of assigned duties.
8. Completes or initiates work record sheets, as required. Takes
readings from meters, gauges, counters and other monitoring
and measuring devices. Maintains logs and other required
records; reports on breakdowns and equipment being tested.
9. Follows established safety practices and requirements while
performing all duties.
10. May serve as a working leader over a group of lower level
employees assigned to a specific task.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisor of unit to which assigned.
KEY POSITION REFERENCE