|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
AUTOMOTIVE MECH (P7-07)
OCCUPATION CODE: 5823-03XX
Repairs vehicles, including the removal and installation of complete motors, clutches, transmissions, and other major component parts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Diagnoses mechanical and operating difficulties of vehicles, repairing defects, replacing worn or broken parts.
2. Adjusts and tunes up engines, cleaning fuel pumps, carburetors, and radiators; regulates timing, and makes other necessary adjustments to maintain in proper operating condition trucks that are in service.
3. Repairs or replaces automotive electrical equipment such as generators, starters, ignition systems, distributors, and wiring; installs and sets new spark plugs.
4. Conducts road tests of vehicles after repairs, noting performance of engine, clutch, transmission, brakes, and other parts.
5. Operates standard types of garage testing equipment.
6. Performs other duties as assigned, such as, removing, disassembling, reassembling, and installing entire engines; overhauling transmission, rear end assemblies, and braking systems; straightening frames and axles, welding broken parts where required; making road calls to make emergency repairs; and making required truck inspections.
Supervisor, Vehicle Maintenance, or other designated supervisor.
KEY POSITION REFERENCE:
|Doc Date: 11/02/1994||Occ Code: 5823-03XX|