|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
AREA MAINT SPEC (P7-08)
OCCUPATION CODE: 4801-21XX
As assigned by an area maintenance technician, installs, maintains, repairs, removes and disposes of postal equipment as appropriate at post offices (offices not having maintenance capability) within the geographic area served by the area maintenance office to which assigned. Installs, moves or repairs post office screenline equipment, lock boxes, furniture, and mechanical equipment, supervising such additional help as the assigned projects may require.
This position may be used as a second full-time position where authorized in an area maintenance office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Moves and sets ups offices in new or remodeled postal quarters; assembles, installs screenlines, workroom, lobby, and operating equipment. Supervises carpenters and/or helpers as projects may require. Classifies or assists postmasters in classification of postal equipment for disposal or refurnishing. Under postmaster's authority, purchases materials and employs helpers as warranted.
2. Makes, major and minor repairs for postal operating equipment in offices without maintenance capabilities; conducts maintenance inspections and provides operating, minor repair, and maintenance instruction to postal employees in the offices served. Whenever possible conducts maintenance inspection and the instruction of postal employees in conjunction with emergency service trips to installations.
3. Troubleshoots, repairs, overhauls and installs postal operating equipment such as, but not limited to, stamp vending machines, cancelling machines, scales, print punch money order machines, tying machines, conveyors, safe and vault locks and other components, protective systems and devices, timeclocks, and money changers. Keeps abreast of current maintenance criteria and effects service accordingly.
4. Installs and maintains protective systems and devices on safes and vaults in post offices. Opens safes and vaults, changes and repairs combinations and disarms systems and devices.
5. Provides emergency service and makes minor repairs to air conditioning systems at Government-owned buildings not under service contracts. Prepares report of needs for the postmaster if the lessor has maintenance responsibility or the manufacturer if the system is under warranty.
6. Drives motor vehicle to respective offices to effect on-the-scene repairs and screenline installation or modification. Communicates with postmasters by phone, correspondence, and personal vists to investigate reports of malfunctions, disorders, or other needs within the area maintenance office territory.
7. Performs other maintenance duties as instructed by the postmaster at the area maintenance office when not engaged in area maintenance duties.
8. Uses various hand and power tools and testing devices incident to the mechanical, electrical and electronic, and carpentry trades.
9. Observes established safety practices and procedures and instructs helpers accordingly.
10. In addition, may: conducts inventories of all postal operating equipment in post offices visited; recommend procurement of additional operating equipment repair parts; ship replacement parts to territory offices to meet their needs; prepare a variety of reports related to the above duties, such as completed work assignments, reports of unsatisfactory conditions relating to equipment damage, classification and deficiencies, parts shipments, etc; recommends, orally or in writing, equipment improvements, operations and fabrication changes.
Administratively to a maintenance supervisor at a post office designated as an area maintenance office; technically to an Area Maintenance Technician, area maintenance manager, or the maintenance branch of the regional office.
Senior Qualified when filled from preferred assignment register (PAR). Best Qualified when filled from promotion eligibility register (PER).
KEY POSITION REFERENCE:
|Doc Date: 11/02/1994||Occ Code: 4801-21XX|