|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
TIRE REPAIRMAN (P7-06)
OCCUPATION CODE: 4504-01XX
Maintains and controls inventory level of mounted tires charged out to fleet use. Through inspections determines whether tires should be repaired and returned to service, recapped or junked. Repairs tires and tubes as necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains record of stock of mounted tires charged out for fleet use insuring that stock is accounted for at all times. Furnishes good tires of proper size to authorized persons for fleet exchange and verifies receipt of a flat or otherwise non-serviceable tire in exchange for each tire issued.
2. Closely inspects each non-serviceable tire to determine cause and whether tire can be repaired, should be recapped, or junked. Marks for outside contractor major vulcanizing jobs and tires for recapping; marks for salvage or scrap those tires so badly damaged or worn that they are not repairable or recappable.
3. Repairs minor damages caused by nail type punctures and small cuts by using hot or cold patch methods, rubber plug- needle type repairs or vulcanizing process.
4. As necessary, operates hand and power tools such as tire demounter, buffing machine, tire spreaders, tip over tub, pneumatic bead expander, and vulcanizing machine. Where equipped operates a microsiping machine.
5. Determines when tires should be rotated to insure even wear and maximum serviceability; reports evidence of uneven wear which indicates need for steering system adjustments.
6. In addition, may, occasionally makes trouble calls to change flat tires; serve as group leader of one or more garagemen as warranted by work volume.
Supervisor of unit to which assigned.
Senior Qualified when filled from either Garageman (Lvl 4), 6955-02XX, KP 9 or Junior Mechanic, Automotive (Lvl 5), 5823-02XX. SP 5-52. Best Qualified when filled from any other position.
KEY POSITION REFERENCE:
|Doc Date: 11/02/1994||Occ Code: 4504-01XX|