|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
AUTOMOTIVE PAINTER (P7-08)
OCCUPATION CODE: 4155-01XX
Refinishes completely the interior and exterior painted surfaces of motor vehicles, including trailer vans, or refinishes damaged areas of such vehicles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Determines the method of conditioning and preparing the surfaces to be painted including steel, aluminum or fiberglass.
2. Selects the proper fillers with varying formulations of chrominum and other inhibitors used in filling damage scratches, scarifications, rust-spots and pit holes and for the prevention of rust and corrosion in the surface to be painted; sands or grinds to the degree necessary to obtain a smooth surface.
3. Masks areas of the vehicle inside and out which will not be painted and makes decisions on touch up jobs on portions of the vehicle to be painted.
4. Mixes paint materials (primer, and usually blue, white and red enamel; occasionally lacquer) with required amounts of solvent to achieve proper consistency for use in spraying equipment; adjusts nozzles of spray guns to insure that all surfaces are evenly coated with no streaks or wrinkles; feather edges and matches existing painted surfaces.
5. Applies the required number of prime and hot or cold finish coats to achieve the required effect without waste of materials.
6. Removes, repairs, restores and replaces door and body liners, chromium and all other appearance details; prepares and applies in proper position reflective tape and decalcomanias.
7. Maintains, repairs, and adjusts painting equipment used in the performance of the work.
8. Operates power driven and hand tools such as power driven disc sanders, air operated spray gun, rubber squeegee used to press and smooth body putty and filler, and tools for removing and replacing door and body liners, mirrors, reflectors, trim and other appearance items.
9. In addition, may supervise helpers, when required by the workload.
Supervisor of unit to which assigned.
KEY POSITION REFERENCE:
|Doc Date: 03/18/2006||Occ Code: 4155-01XX|