|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
MAIL EQUIPMENT HANDLER (M7-04)
OCCUPATION CODE: 3502-01XX
At a post office mail bag consolidation point, performs all of the manual and simple clerical functions involved in receiving, segregating, consolidating, storing and shipping of empty mail bags.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Separates bundles of mail bags by types and sizes; separates mixed bags by type, size, and whether serviceable or unserviceable.
2. Applies prescribed standards as set forth in the Postal Manual to determine whether mail bags are serviceable or unserviceable.
3. Consolidates bags into full bundles; completes and attaches proper labels to bundles according to contents.
4. Stores bundles in prescribed space by type and size; lifts bundles on and off nutting trucks, pallets, or conveyors; moves bundles by manual or powered methods including walking or riding tow, or forklift. Loads and unloads railroad cars and trucks.
5. Condemns mail bags which obviously are unfit for further use; removes cord fasteners and label holders from condemned bags and prepares salvaged articles for return to nearest depository; notifies supervisor of the number, type, and size of mail bags condemned.
6. Keeps records of mail bags received, segregated, consolidated, placed in storage, removed from storage, and dispatched.
7. Remains alert to detect mislabeled and incorrectly packed bundles; reports names of offending post offices to supervisor.
8. Uses semiautomatic or hand-operated wire-tying machines in bundling mail bags.
9. In addition, may perform any of the following duties: adjust wire-tying machines or replacing parts when mechanics are not available; sweeps and cleans work areas as required.
Supervisor, Distribution Operations, or other designated supervisor.
KEY POSITION REFERENCE:
|Doc Date: 11/02/1994||Occ Code: 3502-01XX|