|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
MAIL PROCESSING MACHINE OPERATOR (M7-05)
OCCUPATION CODE: 2340-45XX
Operates mail processing machines such as facer-canceler and related equipment and performs as necessary specified routine maintenance tasks, outlined in duty 3 pursuant to required training in an effort to keep machines in operation following erratic operation of equipment or failure in operation. Must be able to demonstrate ability to consistently operate the facer-canceler and related equipment to maximum efficiency.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Operates a mail processing machine such as the facer- canceler and related equipment, which involves feeding mail into and removing mail from the machine.
2. Checks the effectiveness of additional mail handling employees culling, batching and traying mail for the machine(s) by observing and feeding trayed mail received for processing by the machine(s); provides immediate mail handling supervisor with information as to need of mail handling employees for training or direction to insure continuing flow of machinable mail.
3. When malfunctions occur during operating periods, performs routine troubleshooting limited to work which can be accomplished to promptly put the equipment back in operation. For example, checks the feed section of the equipment & removes foreign matter from the mechanism & photcell lamps & related openings. Also visually checks & corrects by replacement or adjustment such conditions as bent guides, mislocated feed fence, defective main feed & reverse rollers, ink felt rollers, & takeaway rollers. Restores displaced inverter belts to pulleys. Replaces scan lamps & observes & corrects loose connections or similar causes for interruption of power supply from building outlet. Fills the ink tank, stirs the ink, adjusts ink flow, replaces fuses & clears jams. However, incumbent does not perform scheduled preventive maintenance or other repair work requiring extensive disassembly of the machine, or requiring shop equipment & complex test devices/procedures.
4. Reports unusual machine difficulties to mail handling supervisor or maintenance personnel.
5. In addition, may perform other mail handling assignments as qualified.
Supervisor, Distribution Operations, or other designated supervisor.
KEY POSITION REFERENCE:
|Doc Date: 11/02/1994||Occ Code: 2340-45XX|