|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
RECEIVING CLK FOREIGN AIR MAIL (P7-07)
OCCUPATION CODE: 2340-18XX
Receives and opens sacks of incoming foreign airmail at an airport mail facility; determines whether airmail was dispatched and received in accordance with postal conventions and whether costs have been properly computed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Receives and accepts incoming foreign airmail with accompaning documents from carrier representatives; verifies actual mails received by origin, destination, dispatch and serial numbers, types and weights of mail and number of sacks; maintains liaison with carriers to determine location of missing documents; reports any errors or irregularities for use in preparing bulletins of verification; determines whether carriers are delivering the mail to the AMF within allocated time and in cases of negligence, prepares irregularity report.
2. In case of errors or irregularities, opens, examines, and weighs dispatches received without labels or in damaged condition; records data for bulletin of verification describing action taken and reason for action; completes report of irregular handling of airmail to be sent to carrier; notifies Inspection Service if damaged dispatches justifies such action.
3. Reroutes missent and over-carried mail to the airlines to avoid additional charges; forwards transit mail to intended exchange office; identifies diplomatic pouches transported as mail and forwards to proper destination.
4. Opens incoming foreign airmail dispatches for designated exchange office; verifies contents with entries on mail documents; accounts for registered mails and determines whether all open transit articles are properly weighed and documented; removes short paid articles and determines the amount of postage due; removes known or suspected articles for fraudulent examination; withholds articles subject to customs inspection; reports errors or irregularities for use in preparing bulletins of verification; and prepares mail for further processing at the AMF.
5. On occasion may serve as a lead clerk for a group of employees engaged in receiving and opening sacks and dispatches of foreign airmail at an airport mail facility.
Supervisor of unit to which assigned.
KEY POSITION REFERENCE:
|Doc Date: 11/02/1994||Occ Code: 2340-18XX|