|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
LEAD MAIL PROCESSING CLERK (P7-07)
OCCUPATION CODE: 2315-7153
Performs a variety of clerk duties required to process mail using automated mail processing equipment or manual methods of sortation and distribution. May work with or without direct supervision or as a working leader to one or more mail processing employees resolving problems that may occur during tour operations and determining when a supervisor should be involved.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides current scheme, schedule, and routing information, as required by the distribution function, to efficiently route mail and meet dispatch schedules. Makes one or more sortations of outgoing and/or incoming mail using the appropriate sort program or manual distribution scheme.
2. On a rotational basis, may perform the following duties: loads mail onto automated equipment, culling out non-processable items; enters sort plan and starts equipment; monitors flow of mail to ensure continuous feed; sweeps separated mail from bins/ stackers; and stops equipment when distribution run or operation is completed. Runs machine reports, clears jams and contacts maintenance for assistance when required.
3. Prepares work area, ensuring all necessary support equipment and materials, including labels, trays, and other containers are in place.
4. Removes sorted mail from bins or separations and places into appropriate trays or containers for further processing or dispatch based on knowledge of operating plans and dispatch schedules, or at the instruction of supervisors or expediters; may riffle or verify mail to ensure sortation accuracy as needed.
5. Maintains a working knowledge of regulations, policies and procedures related to mail processing activities. Provides guidance to mail processing employees assigned to mail processing operations. Resolves problems that may occur during tour operations and determines when a supervisor should be involved.
6. As a working leader of mail processing employees, will cooperate with supervisor to meet established targets for identified goals. Will work to maintain efficiencies and meet dispatches based on the installation operating plan. Shifts employee in the group from one assignment to another, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, to balance workload. Trains new employees in a specific area of specialization. Makes Supervisor approved entries to correct time and attendance records and retains required supporting documents.
7. In addition, may perform any of the following duties as needed: provides service at public window for non-financial transactions; maintains records related to mail on hand and mail processed; examines balances in advance deposit accounts; and records and bills mail requiring special service; provides services in the receipt and dispatch of express mail; distributes, weights, computes, and processes all classes and types of postage due mail; maintains accounts and records; submits reports.
8. Uses established safe work methods, procedures, and safety precautions.
9. Performs other job related tasks in support of primary duties.
Supervisor, Distribution Operations; Supervisor, Customer Services or other designated supervisor
Clerk SP-2644; KP-0013
|Doc Date: 05/20/2015||Occ Code: 2315-7153|