|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
GRP LDR MAIL HANDLER (M7-05)
OCCUPATION CODE: 2315-02XX
Serves as working leader of a group of a least five mail handlers in an assigned work unit engaged in separating, piling, loading, and unloading of incoming and outgoing bulk mails and outside parcels on post office platforms, and at other points where bulk mails are separated, or work units assigned to culling, facing, or canceling pieces of mail.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Controls and guides a work unit of mail handlers and participates in the nonscheme separation of incoming or outgoing bulk mails, the dumping and sorting of incoming and outgoing bulk mails at primary handling units, the loading and unloading of motor vehicles and platform trucks, and the operation of materials-handling equipment. Controls nondistribution work units requiring mail handlers, such as the culling area, facing tables and canceling operation.
2. Assures that bins, skids, or hampers are available and full loads are promptly moved, that each mail handler is assigned a fair share of the load, and that each mail handler understands the work to be done.
3. Receives assignments and well-defined work plans and instructions on a job-by-job or day-to-day basis; ensures that work is carried through to completion efficiently and effectively.
4. Assigns employees in the group, as instructed by a supervisor, to individual tasks, and shifts employees from one assignment to another to meet fluctuating workloads; requires proper performance of employees in their assigned duties and responsibilities in accordance with prescribed methods, procedures, and safety practices.
5. Resolves problems of a routine nature arising during the tour of duty; reports unusual difficulties to supervisor.
6. Instructs new employees in the various aspects of their assignments and assures that adequate on-the-job training is carried out to promote employee efficiency.
7. Provides immediate supervisor with information for personnel actions affecting members of the group; maintains morale among employees in the group; provides leadership necessary to secure maximum interest and effort among employees, and promotes cooperation and harmony.
8. Performs nonsupervisory duties identical with those of employees in the group.
Manager, Airport Mail Center/Facility or other designated supervisor.
KEY POSITION REFERENCE:
|Doc Date: 11/02/1994||Occ Code: 2315-02XX|