|List of Positions||U.S.Postal Service|
CLERK/SPECIAL DELIVERY MESSENGER (P7-06)
OCCUPATION CODE: 2310-0012
Delivers and collects mail on foot or by vehicle under varying conditions in any area; maintains pleasant and effective public relations with customers and others; requires a general familiarity with postal laws, regulations, and procedures commonly used, and with the geography of the city.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Withdraws mail from distribution case and prepares it in sequence for efficient delivery by him or herself, or a substitute, along a prescribed route; prepares and separates all classes of mail to be carried by vehicle to relay boxes along route for subsequent delivery; sorts mail to be forwarded into throw-back case.
2. May make primary or secondary distribution of outgoing mail for dispatch, or incoming mail for delivery. NOTE: Distribution is defined as the sorting of mail to carrier routes, cities, states, foreign countries, post office boxes, or other separations; and may require knowledge of a distribution scheme.
3. Delivers mail along a prescribed route, either on foot or by vehicle, picking up additional mail from relay boxes; collects mail from mail boxes and accepts mail from customers; may deliver exclusively parcel post, or may collect mail exclusively; returns mail collected along route to post office for dispatch.
4. Delivers and collects charges on customs, postage due, and cash-on-delivery (c.o.d.) mail; delivers and obtains receipts for registered, certified, and insured mail; uses delivery confirmation system equipment and procedures; handles accountable mail in accordance with established procedures, including returning signed receipts and fees collected to post office.
5. Furnishes customers with postal information when requested, and provides change-of-address and other postal forms when requested.
6. Reports all unusual incidents or conditions relating to mail delivery to supervisor, including conditions of mail boxes and other mail receptacles.
7. Adheres to established policies and procedures by exercising good judgment when determining when to leave mail or leave a notice and return mail to post office for customer pick-up.
8. In addition, may perform the following duties: check hotels and other establishments to ensure that mail for residents which is undeliverable as addressed is not improperly held, and/or delivers stamps or other supplies to contractor carrier stations.
9. Performs other duties as assigned, including: maintaining records of mail; examining balances in advance deposit accounts; facing and canceling mail; tying mail and inserting facing slips; opening and dumping pouches and sacks; operating canceling machines; recording and billing mail such as c.o.d. and registered mail requiring special service; and providing services at a public window. May operate automated mail sorting equipment.
10. Exercises appropriate safety precautions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Supervisor, Customer Services; Manager, Customer Services; Postmaster; or other designated supervisor.
|Doc Date: 05/07/1998||Occ Code: 2310-0012|